As part of the Leica Women Foto Project, Leica Camera USA is seeking three U.S. photographers to receive an award to support a personal project that is relevant to today’s social and political climate. The mission of the Leica Women Foto Project is to educate, encourage and empower photographers to demonstrate the importance and impact of a woman’s point of view. The award serves as a catalyst to reframe how we see, how we think, and how we express our visual narrative.
Applicants will be reviewed on the basis of quality of photography, dedication to the medium of photography, sophistication of project, as expressed through the female perspective with narratives that broaden perspectives, ideas and conversations on today’s social climate.
Photo entries will be reviewed by a panel of renowned judges including:
- Karin Kaufmann, Art Director & Chief Representative, Leica Galleries International
- Maggie Steber, VII Agency photographer and Guggenheim fellow
- Elizabeth Avedon, photography book and exhibition designer, independent curator and writer
- Laura Roumanos, executive producer and co-founder, United Photo Industries
- Deborah Willis, university professor and Chair of the Department of Photography & Imaging at the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University and author of Envisioning Emancipation: Black Americans and the End of Slavery
Each member of the Panel will individually score each submission using the following criteria:
- Category 1: Quality of Photography
- Category 2: Dedication to the Medium of Photography
- Category 3: Sophistication of project
The three (3) entrants with the highest total scores will be declared the recipients of the award. In the event of a tied score resulting in more than three (3) recipients of the award, the entrant with the highest Head Judge’s score will be deemed the recipient of the award. Call for entries begins today and closes on August 29, 2019 at 11:59:59 PM ET. Recipients of the award will be announced via e-mail and/or telephone on or about October 16, 2019.
All applicants must agree to the Official Award Rules prior to submission.
View the Official Award Rules here.